14.10.14

Soup

Earlier a couple came into the shop

"We've been married for 66 years"  They said

"What is the secret to a long marriage?" I asked

"Keep your head down" he said

It is proper soup making weather now.

Roast a head of cauliflower with sage leaves, garlic cloves and some shallots, i peel them afterwards mainly due to laziness the skins slip off so much easier after roasting.

Whilst they roast,  toast some walnuts in a pan chop some parsley and sage.

Grind them up with a ahead of garlic and some table salt and then a generous slug of oil.

This is sort of thing you can keep in the fridge and add to soups, dressings, pastas and such. Or spoon it  onto the top of tomatoes before roasting.

Which makes it sound that i am the sort of person that has in my fridge for instant canapés.

I don't

Just yoghurt and mouldy raspberries like everybody else.

One day i hope to be that person.

Also soak a few dried porcini in a teacup, i love the earthiness of dried mushrooms with the cauliflower.

Tip the cauliflower into a saucepan, scrape all the juices in, add the mushrooms and sieved soaking water, and some vegetable stock.

Blitz with a stick blender

Serve with crusty bread and a packet of butter.

Also this is very interesting if you have access to the BBC iplayer 

3 comments:

Tante Mali said...

This soup sounds delicious but what I realy love are your pictures! You are a fantastic fotographer! Congratulations!
All my best from Austria
Elisabeth

Veronica Roth said...

Don't you just love soup in this cold autumnal weather? It's so perfect; like ice cream and the hot beach. I love mushroom soups and also cauliflower soups and you have blended the two together. I'll give it a try. :D

Little White Dove said...

I made a version of this soup and it was delicious! (I had to improvise with a couple of ingredients and I'm crap at following recipes - but it was very close to this one!)
thanks!