19.2.10

If I were getting married today.....


I would want a Big Fat Gypsy Wedding.
The biggest dress with the longest train and a fountain for my cake.
Did you watch it? We were fascinated at the insight into a culture that we knew little about. What touched me the most was the naivety of the girls dresses. In particular the sketches they sent to the dressmaker, they seemed like something a 5 year old girl would draw.
Without wishing to get all Richard Curtis *about it, it amazes me how anybody so young can commit themselves to somebody for the rest of their lives?

* I have had complaints that I keep using YouTube as a reference and some people who work in big offices can't access it. These people should probably be doing some important work in the finance sector and not reading this, but that's by the by.
In case you hadn't already worked it out, it's the scene from 4 weddings where he says:

"I would just like to say this. I am, as ever, in bewildered awe of anyone who makes this kind of commitment that Angus and Laura have made today. I know I couldn't do it and I think it's wonderful they can."

5 comments:

Mrs B said...

Even Mr B was glued! Did the Hound like the tropical theme the best? I'm off to get myself one of those Lycra evening party numbers. Have a lovely weekend xx

Anonymous said...

Miss P,

I loved it when the bride was squeezed into the carriage by all her family.

Nico

Darcy said...

The girl in your picture looks suspiciously like my Grandmothers toilet roll cover! Can we expect to see this style influencing your floral creations? Would The Hound appreciate an abundance of white & turquoise feathers? Have a splendid weekend Miss P, I am away for a few days and will greatly miss your amusing blog.

Anonymous said...

Is this were Lady Gaga gets her inspiration??? My friend is a gypsy and she hasn't spoken to me since christmas as my card arrived late. She has turkey on christmas day and pork on boxing day.

Jon

h for hellebores said...

I awaited it with keen anticipation all week and it didn't disappoint.

I have to applaud any girl who wears a 27 stone dress and incurs lifelong scarring in the pursuit of "fashion".